Zuppa of Fusilli and Potato
- Heat the oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over med-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the potato, tomato paste, pepper flakes, broth, and water.
- Bring to a boil, cover the pan, decrease the heat to med-low, and simmer until the potato is falling apart tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Increase the heat to med-high, add the fusilli, and cook, stirring frequently, until the pasta is tender but firm (al dente), about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the parsley and basil.
- Serve with cheese.