Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
In 'Saved By Soup' by Judith Barrett
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium yellow boiling potato, peeled, cut into quarters, and thinly sliced (Yukon Gold)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- red pepper flakes, a pinch (to taste)
- 6 cups defatted chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb fusilli
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Heat the oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over med-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the potato, tomato paste, pepper flakes, broth, and water.
- Bring to a boil, cover the pan, decrease the heat to med-low, and simmer until the potato is falling apart tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Increase the heat to med-high, add the fusilli, and cook, stirring frequently, until the pasta is tender but firm (al dente), about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the parsley and basil.
- Serve with cheese.