1/1 Photo of Zuppa Italiano
1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe I came up with one cold, rainy Sunday. My roommate ate 4 bowls of this because he liked it so much. It's hearty and flavorful. Well worth the time to make!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, with juice
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- parmesan cheese
- 1Heat oil in a large, heavy stew pot on medium heat.
- 2Add onion and cook til soft.
- 3Add carrots, celery & garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- 4Remove veggies from the pot to a bowl & set aside.
- 5Add sausage to the pot. Crumble and cook till brown. Drain off grease.
- 6Add sausage & veggies back to the pot.
- 7Add oregano, basil, pepper flakes & salt. Stir to coat well with spices.
- 8Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and beans.
- 9Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for about an hour.
- 10Add the tortellini and simmer for 10-15 minutes or till tortellini is done.
- 11Serve with parsley and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zuppa Italiano
Serving Size: 1 (564 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 859.7
- Calories from Fat 371
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 87.3 mg
- Sodium 4127.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 47.4 g