Recipe by Pryjmaty
This is a recipe I came up with one cold, rainy Sunday. My roommate ate 4 bowls of this because he liked it so much. It's hearty and flavorful. Well worth the time to make!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, with juice
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large, heavy stew pot on medium heat.
- Add onion and cook til soft.
- Add carrots, celery & garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Remove veggies from the pot to a bowl & set aside.
- Add sausage to the pot. Crumble and cook till brown. Drain off grease.
- Add sausage & veggies back to the pot.
- Add oregano, basil, pepper flakes & salt. Stir to coat well with spices.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and beans.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for about an hour.
- Add the tortellini and simmer for 10-15 minutes or till tortellini is done.
- Serve with parsley and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.