Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 48 clams
- 1 quart fish stock
- 3⁄4 bottle white wine (1 liter)
- 1 tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 leek
- 1 bunch marjoram
- 1 small onion
- leaf of celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 crusts of bread (croutons)
- Into a saucepan put 4 dozen *vongole* or small clams (cockles or mussels can be used as well).
- Pour over them three-quarters of a bottle of white wine and let them cook until they have opened.
- Drain them, setting aside the liquid in which they have cooked, and remove the empty half-shells. -- Chop the white part of a leek with a small onion, add a clove of garlic, and saute this mixture in a saucepan with good oil, add the liquid from the clams, and a quart of fish stock; add a peeled and chopped tomato, a bouquet of marjoram, and a few green leaves of celery.
- Let this bubble fast for ten minutes, remove the bouquet and the garlic, stir the clams into the soup, and pour it into the tureen.
- Serve separately small croutons of bread fried in oil.