Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Based on the vegetable soup I had at many restaurants near Florence, Italy. So full of flavor, I had to figure it out once I got home. Vegetable amounts or types can be varied to your liking or what you have on hand.
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrot, chopped small
- 1⁄2 zucchini, quartered and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 small leek, chopped small, both white and green parts
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, chopped small
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, chopped in one inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans or 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup orzo pasta or 1 cup pasta
- 1 cup good chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup stock
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In 8 quart stockpot, add all fresh vegetables, olive oil and chicken broth; sauté about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except orzo, add enough water to cover vegetables by 3-6 inches (depending on how much broth you want), salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about one hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Add orzo pasta and taste to see if more olive oil, salt and pepper are desired, simmer another 20 minutes or so, or until orzo is done.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
- For Vegetarian option use Vegetable broth or stock.