Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a a lovely Italian soup using your own homemade stock.
- 4 liters water (16 cups)
- 3 large carrots, chopped coarsely
- 2 large brown onions, chopped coarsely
- 2 stalks trimmed celery, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 10 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped coarsely, extra
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150 g pancetta, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium carrots, chopped coarsely, extra
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped coarsely
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup risoni (220g) or 1 cup orzo pasta (220g) or 1 cup Italian pastina (220g)
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley, extra
- Combine the water, carrot, onion, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves and parsley in large saucepan; bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours; strain over large bowl.
- Reserve stock; discard vegetables.
- (Can be made ahead to this stage. Cover, refrigerate overnight or freeze).
- Heat oil in large saucepan; cook extra onion, garlic and pancetta, stirring, until onion is soft.
- Add extra carrot, potato and rosemary; cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock, bring to a boil, simmer uncovered, about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta, bring to a boil, simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until risoni is just tender.
- Stir extra parsley into soup.