Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this simple and delicious recipe on an online video site. If you wish, you may cook some wagon wheel pasta separately and add it to the finished soup.
- 7 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (enough to coat bottom of pan)
- 28 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- 14 ounces water (1/2 can)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 12 pitted black olives (flatten with side of knife to remove pits)
- 2 lbs cod fish fillets, fresh or frozen cut into large chunks (or haddock or other white fish fillets- may use only 1 pound for economy)
- Start garlic in cold pan coated with olive oil. Cook 30 secs over medium heat, then add the onions. Cook 3 minutes until onions are tender.
- Add tomatoes and water. Break up tomatoes with a potato masher. Simmer covered 10 minutes.
- Add basil, pepper, capers, parsley and olives. Cook covered 10 minutes.
- Add cod and cook covered 20 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- Serve with Italian bread.