Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious Umbrian soup, taken from italianfoodforever.com and posted for ZWT7
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, Diced
- 3 carrots, Tops Trimmed & Diced
- 3 stalk celery, Diced
- 4 garlic cloves, Peeled & Minced
- 396.89 g can chopped tomatoes
- 354.88 ml fresh peas
- 354.88 ml fresh fava beans, Removed From Pods & Peeled
- 354.88 ml cracked farro
- salt & pepper
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh basil
- vegetable broth or water
- grated pecorino cheese or parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a heavy stock pot, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, peas, fava beans, farro, oregano, parsley, and basil.
- Add enough water or broth to cover by about 1 to 1 1/2 inches.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the vegetables and faro are tender adding additional water or broth if needed.
- Garnish with grated pecorino or parmesan cheese extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve hot.