Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Even people who don't like beans like this soup. It was a tradition at our house on Halloween.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried great northern beans or 1 (16 ounce) bag navy beans
- 2 -3 smoked ham hocks or 2 -3 smoked pork shanks
- 1⁄4 lb procuitto ham (finely chopped)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 portabella mushroom, chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb pasta (fusilli, gemelli, mini lasagna, rotelli)
- Sort and wash beans. Place in heavy stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about an hour. Drain. Add ham hocks and water to cover. Cook until the beans are tender and meat is easy to remove from bones. (2 - 3 hours).
- Drain, reserving 2 cups of liquid. Remove meat from ham bones and set meat aside.
- Sauté onion, carrots, garlic, procuitto and mushrooms in olive oil until tender.
- Add ham, beans, the 2 cups of reserved bean liquid and 6 cups of chicken stock. Cook several hours.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse well. Add to soup. Heat through.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.