Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
Mussel and clam soup. Recipe of the Month from i Ricchi's in Washington DC. Top 10 Restaurants in the USA – 1995 - American Academy of Restaurant Sciences
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1⁄4 chili pepper, crushed
- 3 1⁄4 cups canned tomatoes, crushed slightly
- 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 lemon, squeezed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 24 mussels (6 mussels per serving)
- 32 clams (8 clams per serving)
- white wine
- sliced day-old bread
- chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam clams and mussels in a little white wine. (This may be done ahead of time.)
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic, herbs, and chili pepper.
- When garlic is light golden, add tomatoes, lemon, and seasoning.
- Bring to a boil; remove tomato mixture from heat.
- Per serving, heat 6 mussels and 8 clams in a sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Splash in 2-3 tablespoons of white wine, reduce.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chopped parsley and 6 ounces of the tomato mixture.
- When hot, arrange in medium oval plate.
- Top with tomato sauce.
- Garnish with 2 thin slices of bread, toasted and rubbed with garlic.