Recipe by breezermom
This soup is a hearty meal! From Luisa Musso.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This is one delicious soup! A wonderful hearty soup that doesn't need anything to accompany it unless you want some crusty bread.I didn't have turnips either, but wouldn't have had room for them. : ) Added more broth to be sure the pasta didn't stick to the pan. This make a large batch, but that means more leftovers and you can freeze it as well. Made for PRMR, April, 2014.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, scraped and chopped
- 2 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen English peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried whole basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups small seashell macaroni, uncooked
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove and discard the casing from the sausage. Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until the sausage is browned, stirring to crumble meat. Drain well, and set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil in a large Dutch oven until tender. Add the reserved sausage and broth; stir well. Bring to a boil; stir in the cabbage and next 9 ingredients. Return the mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add macaroni; simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes or until the macaroni is tender.
- Ladle the soup into individual soup bowls. Sprinkle each serving with Pamesan cheese.