Recipe by Michelle_My_Belle
Food Around the World: The Cooking of Italy (Time Life)
Top Review by Nana Chickens
So glad You posted this recipe. I have the same cookbook and make a lot of it's recipes. This soup is one of our favorites, especially if I have on hand, homemade stock, homemade Italian bread and use our own eggs. I change up slightly by rubbing the fried bread with a cut side of a clove of garlic. In fact we are having this soup tonight with some heated up leftover Gnocchi Verdi thrown in. Made the gnocchi, for dinner last night and the recipe is from the same cookbook. Thanks again for posting.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- heat chicken stock to a simmer and keep on low heat covered untill ready.
- in 10 inch Skillet melt butter over low heat.
- in it cook bread, turning often, for 4-5 minutes, untill golden brown on each side (you could use toaster if you have one that can handle the thicker bread).
- Place 1 slice of bread each into four bowls.
- bring 2 inches of water to a simmer in skillet (If you opted to use toaster first melt one tbsp of butter in pan).
- Break one egg into a saucer.
- hold saucer as close to the water as you can and slide it carefully into the skillet.
- Gently lift the white over the yolk with a wodden spoon.
- break and cook other three eggs in this fashion - trying to keep them apart.
- cook 3-5 minutes depending on firmness desired.
- remove with slotted spoon and place one egg on top of each slice of bread in bowl.
- sprinkle eggs with cheese and remove soup from heat and pour around it.
- serve at once.