Recipe by Vina
Posted in response to a request. From my grandmother's recipe files. It's rich and delicious.
Top Review by fyreflye.girl
I made this thinking it would be fun to make a polish dish for my part polish husband. We liked it a lot. I used button and bella mushrooms. I would add more sour cream next time and maybe omit the lemon juice, but it was great as is too!
- 16 ounces wild mushrooms (preferred) or 16 ounces white button mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 cups rich beef broth or 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups beef bouillon, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- fresh dill (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and coarsely chop mushrooms.
- Saute over medium-low heat, covered, with lemon juice, butter, onions, and water for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a large saucepan, add the broth (keeping 1 cup aside), and bring to a low simmer.
- Blend the sour cream with the flour and mix well.
- Blend in the 1 cup reserved stock until smooth.
- Add slowly to the pot, stirring constantly.
- Simmer for five minutes, stirring often.
- Serve garnished with chopped dill.
- The richly flavored wild mushrooms that Polish cooks used to use are difficult to find.
- You may substitute dried mushrooms for part of the fresh, reconstituted according to package directions, for richer flavor.