Recipe by LaJuneBug
Not an authentic Native American recipe but the name given by "Bread Machine Magic." I avoided making this loaf for a long time because I don't typically have the ingredients but this is a very good, sturdy loaf. This recipe makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf.
Top Review by TXOLDHAM
I had made this bread a long time ago and had misplaced the recipe so I am delighted to find it here. I never have the sunflower seeds so leave them out and it is still wonderful. I love it with a bowl of chili.
- 7⁄8 cup buttermilk (or 3 tablespoons dry buttermilk powder and 7/8 cups water)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 2⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds, raw
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast