Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A simple but elegant cake from Switzerland.
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar (more if you wish)
- 4 tablespoons kirsch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the syrup by simmering the water and sugar just until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in the kirsch, set aside.
- Butter a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Combine eggs and yolks in bowl; mix at high speed; add sugar at low stream until thick and light.
- Sift flour and cornstarch.
- Using spatula fold into egg mixture.
- Add butter to 1 cup of batter.
- Fold in remaining batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Rap pan at once to break up bubbles.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and cake springs back up with touch.
- Cool in pan for 5 10 minutes then unmold onto a square of parchment paper sprinkled with sugar.
- Brush the syrup gently over the entire cake and when cooled dust with confectioners sugar.