Recipe by twissis
Some recipes become so much apart of your cooking that you make them on auto-pilot & don't remember they qualify as real recipes. This is 1 of those for me. -- 20 yrs ago when I lived in Tulsa & still played competitive tournament bridge, there was a yrly tourney in Fort Smith, AR that everyone in the area attended. It was held in the VFW hall & the big attraction was the wives of the vets cooked all the food for an appy nite Fri, sweet treats Sat & a big Sun dinner meal. This impossibly easy-to-make & tasty veggie dish was the *star attraction* & favorite of the Sun meal, even for the diehard meat & potato guys. They were very protective of the exact recipe, so this is my well-tested copycat version. (10 min was allowed for ingredient prep, but cooking may vary & was estimated). *Enjoy* !
Top Review by lazyme
Great dish! I really enjoyed this a lot. I cut this back for one generous serving and wish that I had made more. This will certainly be made again. Thanks twissis for a nice new keeper. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.
- 2 tablespoons butter (can use margarine or olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed & finely minced)
- 1 large zucchini (approx 10-in length, cut lengthways & then cut in 1/2-in half-moon slices)
- 1 large onion (white or yellow type, halved & sliced)
- 1 yellow squash (size relatively = to amt of zucchini & cut to the same size & thickness)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese (softened, can use low-fat)
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning salt (more to taste & I have always used more)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9-in rd glass pie plate w/cooking spray & set aside.
- Over med-heat in a lrg non-stick skillet, melt butter. Add garlic, sliced zucchini + onion & saute for 2 minutes. Then add sliced squash & cont to cook till onion is transparent & veggies start to soften (approx 3-5 min).
- Remove from heat. Add cream cheese in sml pieces + lemon pepper seasoning salt to taste, stir gently to fully mix w/veggies & put mixture in the prepared dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs w/Parmesan cheese & sprinkle evenly over the top of the veggie mixture. Bake till lightly browned & bubbling (approx 10 min). Serve immediately.