Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An Italian amaretto cream cake.
- 1 sponge cake
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- 1⁄4 cup light rum
- 1 1⁄3 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, blanched, chopped, toasted
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated
- Bake hazelnuts in ungreased baking pan at 400 degrees for 5 minutes or until skins begin to crack.
- Wrap hazelnuts in clean towel. Let stand 2 minutes then rub hazelnuts in towel to remove skins, chop.
- Return hazelnuts to baking pan.
- Bake about 8 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Cut 4-inch circle from cake.
- Cut remaining cake into 1-inch pieces.
- Mix together amaretto and rum and sprinkle over cake.
- Line large bowl with waxed paper.
- Butter waxed paper.
- Place cake circle on bottom of bowl.
- Line side of bowl with three-fourths of the cake pieces.
- Beat together whipping cream and powdered sugar in chilled medium bowl until stiff.
- Fold in hazelnuts, almonds and chocolate.
- Spoon filling into cake-lined bowl.
- Place remaining cake pieces on filling.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Invert onto serving plate.
- Remove bowl and waxed paper.
- Sprinkle with additional grated chocolate if desired.