Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
A lovely veggie side dish. Wonderful summer squash blends nicely with onion in this quickie stir-fry.
- 1 lb small, fresh zucchini
- 1 lb small, fresh crookneck yellow squash
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 teaspoons margarine
- 3 teaspoons water
- salt and pepper
- Rinse zucchini and squash.
- Cut into thin slices, discarding stems and bottoms.
- Slice onion into thin rings.
- Spray a wok or large, covered frying pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat.
- Add zucchini, squash and onion.
- Stir-fry for several minutes, until tender-crisp.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add 3 T water and cover.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until mixture meets your criteria for doneness (We like ours slightly soft, others may prefer either crisp or very soft).
This was really delicious. I stir fried the zucchini and squash for about 4 minutes and then added the water and put the lid on for about 2 minutes. It was tender crisp. There's no way I would cook it for 6 to 8 minutes unless you like mush.
This was very good. Instead of 3 tbls water I added 3 tbls of lemon juice. It was very good and almost as good as our grilled zucchini and squash. Much more convenient when you are in a hurry. thanks
I had some squash around and wanted a healthy small meal, so I found this and it was perfect! I omitted the onion and used lemon juice instead of water. I loved it, but then again, I am a huge squash fan, so I am biased haha...thank you for this recipe!!!