I made this tonight and just loved it. It is a great way to get rid of some of the abundance of squash in my garden. I must give credit to Paula Deen who is the creator of the recipe. Makes a great side dish in a southern meal.
- 3 cups yellow squash, large diced
- 3 cups zucchini, large diced
- vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed butter flavored cracker (recommended Ritz)
House Seasoning (use 1 teaspoon)
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- butter flavored cracker (recommended Ritz)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute the squash in a little vegetable oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Line a colander with a clean tea towel.
- Place the cooked squash in the lined colander.
- Squeeze excess moisture from the squash. Set aside.
- In a medium size skillet, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together except cracker crumbs.
- Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.