Recipe by Kzim4
From the test kitchen at Taste of Home. Cooking time includes time for bread to rise.
Top Review by Artemis Platts
I had to make this without a few ingredients and it was still awesome. So it could only be better made exactly as written. I didn't have orange zest, raisins or cardomom, so I omitted them. However, I did substitute 1/2 tsp ground coriander and 1/2 tsp nutmeg for the cardomom. That produced a very nice flavor, sort of lemon-nutmeg-y. To keep it healthier, I didn't use butter- instead, used only 1.5 tb canola oil. Similarly, I reduced the sugar to 1/6th cup. It's a wet dough. I found that I had to use a bit more than the stated 1.5 cups wheat flour + 2 1/3 cups white flour to make it workable. Adding the extra flour didn't hurt it any, though. It rose beautifully despite all that zucchini. When done, the bread is crusty on the outside, light, moist, tender, flavorful inside. Delicious by itself, would also be great with butter or cream cheese. Excellent way to use up that garden zucchini. I also think other spice combinations could be tried (as well as the intended cardomom). Thank you for posting.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄3 cup warm milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shedded unpeeled zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 2⁄3-2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yest in warm water.
- Beat in the milk, sugar, butter, orange peel and salt; mix well.
- Add zucchini, raisins, wholw wheat flour, cardamom, and enough all purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, tuning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 14/ hours/.
- Punch down; shape into a loaf. Place into a greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake @ 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan to cool an a wire rack.