Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
A rich vegetable dish. Other summer squashes, like pattypan or yellow crookneck, can also be used. We do this with grilled, rather than sauteed squashes cut in half lengthwise. Eggplant works nicely this way, too. From "Good Food From a Japanese Temple".
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons sweet white kyoto miso (saikyo)
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 young zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into 2-inch slices
- Blend ground sesame seeds, miso, and sake.
- Heat oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add zucchini slices and stir-fry until barely cooked. The zucchini should not become translucent.
- Divide zucchini slices among 4 small dishes. Top each mound with 1/4 of the sesame-miso sauce. Serve hot, and mix well before eating. Does not keep.`.