Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I found on allrecipes and tweaked it a little. The zucchini are hollowed out and filled with sauteed onions, mushrooms, zucchini, lemon juice, herbs and spices. Very healthy and tasty recipe! If you aren't concerned about fat content, top them with shredded cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking.
- 4 zucchini, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a shallow baking dish.
- Scoop out the flesh of the zucchini; chop the flesh and set aside. Place the shells in the prepared baking dish.
- Rinse and drain the can of chick peas. Take half the chick peas and use a hand held blender to puree them.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions for 5 minutes, then add garlic and saute 2 minutes more. Stir in chopped zucchini and mushrooms; saute 5 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, chick peas (whole and pureed), lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into zucchini shells.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until zucchini are tender. If desired, top with shredded cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking.
i really enjoyed this for lunch today! Very large portion so it was filling. I made as directed and added a light sprinkling of low fat Italian blend cheese. Very very good and very very healthy! I will be making this again. Made for Went to the Market tag. Thanks breezermom! :)
This was delicious. I followed the recipe exactly until serving, when I drizzled prepared tahini sauce over the zucchinis, as suggested by another reviewer. We all loved this dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT6.
Very nice zucchini recipe. I especially enjoyed how the whole chickpeas got a lovely crunchy outside and developed a wonderful flavor when in the oven. I omitted the salt. Thanks for sharing!