Recipe by Derf
This makes a wonderful lunch with a nice rough loaf of bread to serve on top of or dunk into. from Mexican, a healthy way with a favourite cusine. Serves 6 as a side dish - 3 as whole meal with bread
Top Review by Barb G.
Deliciuos, I really liked the cream cheese in with zucchini used green chilies instead of jalapenos, the oregano, onions & garlic adds a nice flavor, The recipe is a keeper. thank you Rita.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup drained pickled jalapeno pepper, chilli slices chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, cubed (i used light)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- fresh oregano sprig, if desired (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large frypan.
- Add the onion, garlic and dried oregtano.
- Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until onion is soft and translucent.
- Cut a cross in the base of each tomato.
- Place in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Leave in the water for 3 minutes, then lift out on a slotted spoon and plunge into a bowl of cold water, drain.
- The skins will have begun to peel back from the crosses.
- Remove the skins and cut the tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds, chop the flesh into strips.
- Top and tail the zucchini, then cut into 1/2 wide strips.
- Slice the strips into matchsticks.
- Stir the zucchini into the onion mixture and fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until just tender.
- Add the tomatoes and chopped jalapenos and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add the cream cheese, reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
- As the cheese melts, stir gently to coat the zucchini.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, pile into a heated dish and serve, garnished with fresh oregano if desired.
- If serving as a main dish, rustic bread makes a good accompaniment.