Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is high up there nutritionally and delicious too!
Top Review by lynnski / LA
My family and I thought that the bread was delicious, but a tad dry; so I made up a syrup of honey and lemon to pour over a slice. It's still an excellent recipe and the dryness is common with whole wheat flower. I plan to make it again.
- 3 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups corn oil
- 1 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon finely-grated lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 3⁄4 cups packed grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons unprocessed bran flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 320°F.
- Grease two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans and line bottoms with wax paper Mix half of 3 ¾ cups flour and all of oil, honey, eggs, yoghurt, peel, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, allspice and cinnamon in processor.
- Blend in remaining half flour; mix in zucchini and walnuts.
- Stir in 2 tblsps flour by hand.
- Divide between prepared pans.
- Sprinkle tops with bran.
- Bake until a tester comes out clean, about 1 ¼- 1 ½ hours.
- Cool bread in pan 15 minutes.
- Turn out and cool.