Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This started as a way to use up all the leftover raw veggies in my fridge, but turned into something better when hubby brought home a loaf of free artisan como bread! Great main dish for vegetarians or side dish for chicken, pork or fish.
- 8 green zucchini, medium dice
- 1⁄2 white onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 5 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 6 slices crusty day old artisan bread, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 cup salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a steaming bag, or in a steamer, par-cook cauliflower & carrots until al dente.
- Sprinkle zucchini with salt and toss in a colander. Allow to set for 15 minutes. Rinse, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine all vegetables, bread, eggs, olive oil, garlic, cheeses and sprinkle with spices. Toss until everything is well coated and bread is moist.
- If bread is really dry, add another egg at your discretion.
- Pour into a buttered casserole dish - 9x13. Drizzle melted butter over the top and add more parmesan if you like.
- Bake uncovered until puffy and golden brown on top and cooked all the way through. Approximate baking time will depend on the moistness of the bread used, but plan on at least 30 minutes.