Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Made this for Sunday Breakfast, it can be prepared in advance and served at room temperature. Tingly on the palate! Cut in small wedges it could be served as an appetizer. From Mexican, Healthy Ways with a Favourite Cusine.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Top and tail the zucchini, then slice them thinly.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the zucchini and cook for a few minutes, turning them over at least once, until they are soft and beginning to brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer them to a bowl.
- Slice the onion and add it to the oil remaining in the pan, with most of the jalapeño strips, reserving some for the garnish.
- Fry until the onions have softened and are golden.
- Using a slotted spoon, add the onions and jalapeños to the zucchini.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, add the self raising flour, cheese and cayenne.
- Mix well, then stir in the zucchini mixture, with salt to taste.
- Grease a 9-inch round shallow ovenproof dish with the butter.
- Pour in the zucchini mixture and bake for 30 minutes until risen, firm to the touch and golden.
- Allow to cool.
- Serve the zucchini torte in thick wedges, garnished with the remaining jalapeño strips.
- A tomato salad, sprinkled with chives, makes a colourful accompaniment.
Question on thinly for slices. I used a 1mm slicer and it worked good, but felt that maybe 2mm would be better. Did not have any jalapeo peppers so sub; green chilis. The completed dish was very good and will make it again.Robert