Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Looks pretty, diet and lo-carb and tastes great.
- 4 -6 zucchini
- 2 -3 tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- italian seasoning (basil, oregano, parsley flakes, garlic)
- Slice or chop zucchini and cook in microwave or steam.
- Drain well.
- Partially mash with a masher after it is cooked.
- Add onion soup mix and mix well.
- Add slightly beaten eggs and mayo and mix.
- Pour into a greased pie plate, quiche pan, or pan.
- Slice tomatoes and arrange in a circular ring on top of kugel until covered.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, parsley, garlic).
- Hint: I always score the top (into 8-10 slices) of this before I bake it since I find it easier to cut through the tomatoes when they are uncooked.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Kugel is a new dish for me. Guess I have been living under a rock because I have never even heard of it. I missed the Kugel-a-thon and have just now gotten around to trying one. This was very good and since we love zucchini and tomatoes, I will make it a lot when our garden starts producing. Very simple and easy to make. I used two tablespoons of onion soup mix and that really gave a wonderful flavor. I was so tempted to throw some cheese on top but didn't and stayed true to your recipe. I am glad, because the fresh flavors would have been covered up and not enhanced. Thanks Caryn, for sharing this recipe.
We love zuchinni, and this was simply wonderful. It's also really easy to prepare, and used basic ingredients, which I will almost always have on hand, which is always a plus with me. I already can't wait to make this again, because what I made tonight has already been gobbled up! Thanks for a real keeper Caryn!