1/3 Photos of Zucchini-Tomato Gratin
This is a light, flavorful side dish (or main dish) that is PERFECT for summer! The steps to salt the zucchini and tomatoes isn't mandatory but will prevent this dish from getting soggy because it eliminates all excess moisture during the cooking process. The taste will remain unchanged so it's skippable, if short on time but you may have to pick this up with a slotted spoon if skipping this step.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8 inch thick diagonal slices (1 lb)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1Drape tomato slices over colander, sprinkle with salt, and let drain for 45 minutes.
- 2Spread zucchini on baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt. Let stand 30 minutes to sweat out excess moisture. Rinse well and pat dry.
- 3Preheat oven to 375. Heat 1 t oil in nonstick skilled over medium-high heat. Saute' zucchini 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to plate. Do this in 2 batches, if necessary and add more oil between batches.
- 4Layer half of zucchini slices in 8-inch square baking dish. Top with half of the tomatoes. Sprinkle with half the garlic, 1 T olives, half of basil, and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese; season with pepper. Repeat with remaining zucchini slices, tomatoes, garlic, olives and basil. Drizzle top with 3 t oil and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 5Cover with foil and bake 10 minutes.
- 6Remove foil and bake 20 minutes more or until cheese is melted and gratin is bubbling.
- 7Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini-Tomato Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.5
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 239.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 7.8 g