Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From *Sunday Roasts*, this recipe is similar to 2 others posted on food.com, but has the extra added incentive of Parmesan (although I used Romano instead) and pine nuts (I substituted chopped walnuts, both because they're less expensive and because the pine nuts that one gets in our little town tend to be stale). Serves 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side dish.
- olive oil, for sauteing
- 2 lbs zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 1 lb tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 6 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- fresh basil, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large frying pan heat enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and saute zucchini slices for four minutes on each side. You may need to do this in batches. Season the slices with salt and pepper as soon as you remove them from the pan.
- In a 2-quart oval baking dish, layer tomatoes with zucchini slices (vertical layering!).
- Combine the panko crumbs with cheese and sprinkle on top of the vegetables. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and top with pine nuts.
- Bake for 25 minutes and garnish with chiffonade of basil.