Recipe by CountryLady
This colourful "summer vegetable" gratin, by Todd Clarmo (a guest chef on my favourite Canadian talk show), can be served as a side dish or vegetarians will enjoy as an entree.
Top Review by Soobeeoz
This was tasty, but personally I'd have preferred it had I sauteed the zucchini first and used tasty cheese instead of parmesan. I used a smaller casserole dish so upped the cooking time by ten minutes, covering the dish with foil for the first twenty five minutes. Hubby loved it and rates it a 5!
- 2 medium onions, peeled &,sliced
- 4 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 6 ounces black olives, pitted &,roughly chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into wide strips
- 4 ounces breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in 2 oz of the oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, chili flakes, salt& pepper and continue cooking until onions are until golden brown& semi soft (about 5 more mins).
- Remove from the heat, let cool& add olives.
- In a bowl, toss zucchini with basil& 2 oz of olive oil.
- Layer the onion/olive mixture evenly in the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch casserole dish.
- Start alternating the zucchini mixture and the tomatoes/red peppers in layers on top of the onion mixture.
- Season each layer with salt& pepper to taste.
- Mix bread crumbs, parmesan& parsley in a bowl; sprinkle over top of vegetables.
- Bake in preheated 375F oven for 25 minutes.