Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Adapted by Smitten Kitchen from a recipe originally in 3/2008 Gourmet. A great way to use up excess zuke and tomatoes. I use brown rice and add feta cheese and a bit of Greek oregano to mine. Save dirty pans by cooking the rice in the skillet you will use later for the onions, and cover your baking sheets with parchment; foil reacts with the acid in tomatoes. You'll get fewer servings if having it as a vegetarian main course.
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 3 medium)
- 1⁄2 lb plum tomato, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F Cook the rice according to your favorite method.
- While rice cooks, coat two large baking sheets each with a tablespoon of a of olive oil. Spread zucchini and tomato slices on the baking sheets in as close to a single layer as you can. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Roast tomatoes for 10 minutes and zucchini for 20. Flip zucchini halfway through, but don't bother to flip the tomatoes.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, heat oil, then add onions, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan. Cover and reduce heat to low, cooking onion until limp and tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Combine onion mixture, rice, eggs, thyme, half of your grated cheese and a half-tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl. Add a good amount of freshly ground black pepper. Use the remaining half-tablespoon of olive oil to coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Spread half of the rice mixture in bottom of dish. Arrange half of roasted zucchini on top. Spread remaining rice mixture over it, arrange remaining zucchini on top, then tomato slices. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese and bake in the top third of the oven until set and golden brown, about 20 minutes.