Recipe by Buster's friend
With the 9 Butterstick & Lebanese zucchini plants just beginning their first blooms I have begun the hunt for great recipes to use them in. This tart makes use of zucchini & the mint that is doing oh so well. Found it on Natashya's food blog - www.livinginthekitchenwithpuppies.blogspot.com/2008/06/magazine-mondays-zucchini-tart-with.html (gotta love the name - blog is good too). She found it in LCBO Food and Drink, Summer 2008. Hat tip Natashya.
Top Review by Irmgard
This is delicious! I am not a big zucchini fan but it is yummy in this tart, probably due to the mint and garlic. I used a frozen 9" pie shell to make it and used Egg Beaters instead of eggs for the base. I also added some chopped flat-leaf parsley when sauteing the zucchini. It turned out really well. I will definitely make this again!
For the Shell
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold (cut into little pieces)
- 1 -2 tablespoon cold water
For the Tart
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium zucchini, about 10 oz, sliced into 1/8 inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons mint (chopped)
- 1 egg, large
- 1 egg yolk, large
- 3⁄4 cup 18% table cream
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Shell:.
- Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add butter and cut in until it is the size of small peas, using fingers or a pastry blender. Sprinkle in just enough water to bring the pastry together.
- Gather into a ball, wrap in plastic and put in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface and press lightly into 9 inch tart shell with removable bottom.
- Par bake lined with foil and filled with pie weights or dry beans for 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights and prick with a fork several times on the bottom (be careful of your pan) Bake for 5 more minutes.
- For the Tart:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in frying pan over med heat. Add zucchini, and saute 3 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add garlic and stir to combine. Turn heat to med-high and continue to cook for 1 minute or until zucchini is just cooked through and juices have evaporated. Remove pan from heat, stir in mint, season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Beat egg and yolk with cream until uniform. Season with salt.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over prepared tart shell. Pour over half of egg mixture. Add zucchini mixture in a even layer and pour over remaining egg mixture.
- Place tart on a baking sheet and bake in the lower third of the oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until set and lightly golden. Let cool for 10 minutes.