Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Good and tasty use for all that extra zucchini. Try adding other vegetables like shredded cabbage or meat and cheese and make it a whole meal.
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced or shredded if you prefer (3 or 4 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups seasoned croutons
- 1 can mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook zucchini in a little salted water until tender.
- Fry carrots and onions in 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups croutons, soup and sour cream.
- Gently fold in zucchini and put in 8" x8" dish.
- Toss remaining butter and croutons and put on top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
A really tasty way to use zucchini. I did not parboil or steam the zucchini, since I like mine al'dente rather than too soft. I ended up baking the dish for about 40 minutes and it actually worked just fine doing it this way. I also discovered half-way through preparing the casserole that I was out of croutons, so I substituted Chicken flavored Stove Top Stuffing and found that this was very complimentary to the other ingredients. Thanks for posting such a versatile dish! We loved it! UPDATE 8/28/2008: I wanted to post a photo and updated review ... I decided to try shredding the zucchini so that I could disguise it for my non-zucchini eating children. It worked FABULOUS! Wonderful flavor and very pretty casserole!
This was really good - a nice change from the usual zucchini-tomatoe-onion casseroles. I used 1/2 yellow squash and 1/2 zucchini for the 'pretty' factor. Substituted 1 pkg of corn bread stuffing mix for the croutons. I will be making this for Thanksgiving!