Recipe by sugarpea
Easy to make, savory and a nice presentation. You could use dill rather than basil in the stuffing if you prefer.
Top Review by Miss Annie
What a wonderful way to prepare squash. The fresh basil is a must in this recipe. This is one easy, flavorful recipe, and I didn't need to change one thing. Thanks sugarpea for sharing your recipe.
- 4 (8 ounce) zucchini, scrubbed
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the ends of 2 of the zucchini, cut in half lengthwise; use a melon baller to scoop out the flesh, leaving a 1/4" thick shell; set the flesh aside.
- Place the shells in a steamer, cut sides up, and steam until just tender, 3-5 minutes; invert on paper towels and drain.
- Cut the remaining 2 squash into 1/4" slices; heat oil in a non-stick skillet; saute the onions over medium heat, until softened; add the reserved flesh, chopped,and the zucchini slices; continue to cook over medium-high heat, until golden.
- Process the cooked mixture and the feta in a food processor until the zucchini is roughly chopped; stuff the shells with this filling and place them in an oiled baking dish.
- Broil 4" from the heat source until filling is bubbly and deep golden in color, about 3 minutes.