1/1 Photo of Zucchini Stuffed With Corn, Chilies and Cheese (Meatless)
1 hr 10 mins
Stuffed zucchini with some "zing", can be served as a side dish or as one element of a meatless meal. This takes a bit of time but is well worth it. From the "Fields of Greens" vegetarian cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the zucchini
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 -4 ears corn, cut off cob or 3 cups frozen corn
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced zucchini, reserved
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and diced or 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped (optional)
- 2 ounces white cheddar cheese (about 3/4 cup) or 2 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, scoop out the flesh leaving 1/4 inch shell. Reserve the flesh for later.
- 3Mix garlic and olive oil and brush the inside of the zucchinis.
- 4Sprinkle with salt and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake until just tender, about 20 minutes. Do not overbake. Set aside to cool.
- 5Heat the other Tbsp of olive oil in a medium sized skillet. Add onion, cumin, salt and cayenne. Simmer over medium heat until onion is just soft,about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the corn, garlic and saute until corn is just tender, 5 - 10 minutes. Add zucchini and saute 2 more minutes, until just tender. Remove from heat.
- 7Toss in the chilies, cheese, cilantro and marjoram. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Mound the filling into the zucchinis, place in a lightly oiled baking dish or baking sheet and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, covering if they start to brown too much.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Stuffed With Corn, Chilies and Cheese (Meatless)
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.9
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Sodium 138.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 11.1 g