Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This amazing recipe comes from the cooks in Machias, NY where the annual Zucchini Festival is celebrated. Like the recipe? Come and join us for the summer festival.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 lb whole tomato
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch dried parsley
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Cut off zucchini's stem and tip and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard seeds.
- Drain tomatoes and reserve liquid. Add water to liquid to make 1 Cup.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomato liquid, rice, and butter. Heat to boiling. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- In another pan saute onion and garlic in oil until golden.
- Add tomato liquid to onion mixture, and mash with a fork.
- Add in rice mixture, salt and pepper. Stir over medium heat until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Fill zucchini halves with rice mixture.
- Arrange filled zucchini in a 13x9 inch pan. Pour 1/2 C water in bottom of pan.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with parsley.