Recipe by CookingSandefer
This amazing recipe comes from the cooks in Machias, NY where the annual Zucchini Festival is celebrated. Like the recipe? Come and join us for the summer festival.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 lb whole tomato
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch dried parsley
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off zucchini's stem and tip and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard seeds.
- Drain tomatoes and reserve liquid. Add water to liquid to make 1 Cup.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomato liquid, rice, and butter. Heat to boiling. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- In another pan saute onion and garlic in oil until golden.
- Add tomato liquid to onion mixture, and mash with a fork.
- Add in rice mixture, salt and pepper. Stir over medium heat until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Fill zucchini halves with rice mixture.
- Arrange filled zucchini in a 13x9 inch pan. Pour 1/2 C water in bottom of pan.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with parsley.