Recipe by Rita~
You have your choice of squash to use for this Asian Style pickles. I used Chi qua Otherwise known as: Hairy melon, fuzzy gourd, Chinese preserving melon, wax gourd, moa qua (hairy gourd). Because I just picked a bunch from my Sister Theresa's garden. Zucchini is great give it a try. Step x step directions and photos here http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=274365
- 4 lbs zucchini (summer squash, or fussy squash, hairy melon washed and sliced 1/4 inch thick, about 10 cups)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced, 2 cups
- 2 stalks lemongrass, halved and sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and slice 1/8 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fruit fresh, produce protector (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 10 garlic cloves
- 10 chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice half the white part of the lemon grass leaving the top long.
- Place squash, onions, lemon grass and ginger in a large non-reactive pot; add the salt and enough ice cold water to cover by one inch. I used bottled water.
- Let stand for 2 - 4 hours; drain well into a colander with a large pot under to catch the liquid.
- Add garlic and chili's to squash in the colander.
- In a large saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil; add vegetables. Let stand for 2 hours.
- Sterilize your jars, lids, and screw rings.
- Bring the vegetables to a boil for 5 minutes; remove the long pieces of lemongrass then fill jars with mixture, leaving half-inch head space. Fill jars to half-inch from top with hot pickling solution. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- Pints or quarts for 10 minutes from 1 to 1,000 feet, 15 minutes from 1,001 to 6,000 feet, or 20 minutes above 6,000 feet in altitude.