1/23 Photos of Zucchini Squash Pickles With Ginger and Lemongrass
1 hr 30 mins
You have your choice of squash to use for this Asian Style pickles. I used Chi qua Otherwise known as: Hairy melon, fuzzy gourd, Chinese preserving melon, wax gourd, moa qua (hairy gourd). Because I just picked a bunch from my Sister Theresa's garden. Zucchini is great give it a try. Step x step directions and photos here http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=274365
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs zucchini (summer squash, or fussy squash, hairy melon washed and sliced 1/4 inch thick, about 10 cups)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced, 2 cups
- 2 stalks lemongrass, halved and sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and slice 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 cup salt
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fruit fresh, produce protector (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 10 garlic cloves
- 10 chilies
- 1Slice half the white part of the lemon grass leaving the top long.
- 2Place squash, onions, lemon grass and ginger in a large non-reactive pot; add the salt and enough ice cold water to cover by one inch. I used bottled water.
- 3Let stand for 2 - 4 hours; drain well into a colander with a large pot under to catch the liquid.
- 4Add garlic and chili's to squash in the colander.
- 5In a large saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil; add vegetables. Let stand for 2 hours.
- 6Sterilize your jars, lids, and screw rings.
- 7Bring the vegetables to a boil for 5 minutes; remove the long pieces of lemongrass then fill jars with mixture, leaving half-inch head space. Fill jars to half-inch from top with hot pickling solution. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- 8Pints or quarts for 10 minutes from 1 to 1,000 feet, 15 minutes from 1,001 to 6,000 feet, or 20 minutes above 6,000 feet in altitude.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Squash Pickles With Ginger and Lemongrass
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 717.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: