Recipe by Barb G.
This spoon bread is delicious, a good way to use those zucchini out of the garden. For extra flavor or heat add 2 or 3 jalapeno peppers. Recipes comes from Betters Homes and Gardens.com. Spoon bread is a side dish, eaten with a spoon. It is called a bread because of the ingredients. Enjoy
Top Review by Podkayne
I sauted the vegetables in bit of olive oil instead of boiling them, then added some extra milk. I also used low-fat sharp cheddar cheese. It made a great meal together with some beans in mole sauce. My husband described it as "quiche-y" but it was a good balance of heartiness and fresh vegetables. Thanks for a different way to use zucchini.
- 1 cup fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup green sweet pepper, cut in strips
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -5 dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (or use jalapeno peppers)
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan combine, corn, onions, pepper strips, and water; bring to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes (If adding Jalapenos, add in this step).
- Do Not drain, stir in zucchini, tomatoes, cheese and cornmeal, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl beat eggs; stir in milk, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce; STIR egg mixture into the vegetable mixture in saucepan.
- Turn mixture into a greased 1-1/2-quart casserole;Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven about 40 minutes or until set, Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.