Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This spoon bread is delicious, a good way to use those zucchini out of the garden. For extra flavor or heat add 2 or 3 jalapeno peppers. Recipes comes from Betters Homes and Gardens.com. Spoon bread is a side dish, eaten with a spoon. It is called a bread because of the ingredients. Enjoy
- 1 cup fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup green sweet pepper, cut in strips
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -5 dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (or use jalapeno peppers)
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan combine, corn, onions, pepper strips, and water; bring to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes (If adding Jalapenos, add in this step).
- Do Not drain, stir in zucchini, tomatoes, cheese and cornmeal, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl beat eggs; stir in milk, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce; STIR egg mixture into the vegetable mixture in saucepan.
- Turn mixture into a greased 1-1/2-quart casserole;Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven about 40 minutes or until set, Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
I sauted the vegetables in bit of olive oil instead of boiling them, then added some extra milk. I also used low-fat sharp cheddar cheese. It made a great meal together with some beans in mole sauce. My husband described it as "quiche-y" but it was a good balance of heartiness and fresh vegetables. Thanks for a different way to use zucchini.
I really enjoyed this recipe. The mix of vegetables was just right, however this was more like a vegetable casserole than a bread. I made it just as the recipe stated except i did add about 2 tablespoons of cheese to the top (this was what was left in my bag). I will probably make this again but would double everything but the veggies.
I made this recipe because I liked the combination of ingredients. I didn't realize it would be so visually appealing as well! It's also absolutely delicious and has become a family favorite already. I used ingredients I had on hand so I used red and orange bell peppers rather than the green. For the cheese I used some pre-shredded cheddar-jack. I did not add the jalapenos, instead I used some of Rita L's dried crushed red pepper and garlic blend I had on hand. I did add a few dashes of Tabasco and I baked it at 250° for about 90 minutes as I was baking something else at that temperature at the time. We loved this Barb, thanks so much for posting :)