Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Zesty Zukes filled with Zany flavors. Sugar and Spiced Garlic, Chili's, peppercorns, onions...... And of course zucchini. This is one veggie that did great this year. There is 3-4 hours of brining and infusing time that is not calculated into cooking times.
- 3 lbs zucchini, seeds removed, sliced into spears
- 10 -12 fresh pepperoncini peppers (score but left whole)
- 2 serrano peppers (stem removed n sliced)
- 1 large red onion (peeled, halved and sliced)
- pickling salt
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, sliced very thin
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red peppercorns
- Ball pickle crisp, granules (just 1/8 teaspoon per 1 pint jars or a dash 1/16 teaspoon per 1/2 pint jars) (optional)
- In a large stainless steel bowl layer the first 4 ingredients sprinkle 1/2 cup salt on the veggies. Top with cold water and set aside for 2-3 hours.
- Drain into a colander and rinse very well under running cold water. Drain well.
- In a large stainless steel pot add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Gentle boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables,cover and let infuse for 1 hour off heat.
- Prep your jars I used 8 - 8 ounce jars. And prepare the water bath.
- Bring the vegetables back to a boil to heat through.
- Pack into jars.
- Top with a dash of the crisp granules.
- Remove air bubbles and ladle the hot liquid to leave 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims clean and top with lids and bands. Screw to finger tip tight.
- Place jars in boiling water bath with at least 1 inch covering the jars.
- Bring back to a boil, cover and boil for 15 minutes.
- Turn of flame remove lid and rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove jars without tipping and place in a draft free place till cool.
- Remove bands after 12 hours, label and store in a cool dark place.