1/2 Photos of Zucchini Spears
Zesty Zukes filled with Zany flavors. Sugar and Spiced Garlic, Chili's, peppercorns, onions...... And of course zucchini. This is one veggie that did great this year. There is 3-4 hours of brining and infusing time that is not calculated into cooking times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs zucchini, seeds removed, sliced into spears
- 10 -12 fresh pepperoncini peppers (score but left whole)
- 2 serrano peppers (stem removed n sliced)
- 1 large red onion (peeled, halved and sliced)
- pickling salt
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, sliced very thin
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red peppercorns
- Ball pickle crisp, granules (just 1/8 teaspoon per 1 pint jars or a dash 1/16 teaspoon per 1/2 pint jars) (optional)
- 1In a large stainless steel bowl layer the first 4 ingredients sprinkle 1/2 cup salt on the veggies. Top with cold water and set aside for 2-3 hours.
- 2Drain into a colander and rinse very well under running cold water. Drain well.
- 3In a large stainless steel pot add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Gentle boil for 10 minutes.
- 4Add the vegetables,cover and let infuse for 1 hour off heat.
- 5Prep your jars I used 8 - 8 ounce jars. And prepare the water bath.
- 6Bring the vegetables back to a boil to heat through.
- 7Pack into jars.
- 8Top with a dash of the crisp granules.
- 9Remove air bubbles and ladle the hot liquid to leave 1/2 inch head space.
- 10Wipe rims clean and top with lids and bands. Screw to finger tip tight.
- 11Place jars in boiling water bath with at least 1 inch covering the jars.
- 12Bring back to a boil, cover and boil for 15 minutes.
- 13Turn of flame remove lid and rest for 5 minutes.
- 14Remove jars without tipping and place in a draft free place till cool.
- 15Remove bands after 12 hours, label and store in a cool dark place.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Spears
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 54.6
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 217.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: