Recipe by Kathleen Nelson
This recipe is quick and easy to prepare, it's loved by everyone I've yet to feed it to. I first saw this recipe on tv in 1993, it was a quick filler for the real show, like a commercial. I however removed several items and added others, the basic preparation and olive oil are all that really remains of the first recipe.
- 5 garlic cloves, minced and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, julienned
- 2 zucchini, julienned
- 2 stalks celery, cut on angle
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried basil)
- 2 tomatoes, julienned
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2-1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (6 -12 ounce) package spaghetti (use good spaghetti)
- anchovy (optional)
- green pepper (optional)
- hot pepper (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: if using fresh basil add it at the end to get better flavor.
- Pre cut all vegetables and garlic.
- In a large pot bring water with a pinch of salt to a boil, then add the spaghetti.
- Heat frying pan, making sure to cover the bottom with olive oil.
- Add garlic, dried basil, onions, celery and hot sauce (if desired) to the frying pan.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 min, then add the salt and pepper.
- Add zucchini to the frying pan just before draining the cooked pasta.
- Add the drained spaghetti and tomatoes to pan. If using fresh basil add this now, also add any additional olive oil if the dish is dry. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Season with additional salt & pepper if desired, then serve hot.