Recipe by Mom2Rose
(Zucchinisuppe und Pumpernickeltoast mit Kräuterquark) Source: Germanfoods.org "Pumpernickel makes delicious little toasted croutons which can be spread with green-herb-flavored quark (available from specialty stores) to float on top of soup or served alongside. The spinach leaves give this soup a fresh green color."
Top Review by mersaydees
This is so simple and mind boggling delicious that it's going into my best of 2009 cookbook! This has everything I look for in a recipe: simplicity, flavor, and elegance; this is worthy of company! I couldn't find quark, but when I do, I can't wait to try it again! I made it with plain cream cheese, although the fresh herbs added a lot to the finished product! I used recipe #135453 and recipe #368038, both of which I'm sure added to this great experience. Thanks, Mom2Rose! Made for Aussie New Zealand Recipe Swap #27.
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 large zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 6 ounces Quark (available from specialty stores, substitute whipped cream cheese if necessary)
- 3 slices pumpernickel bread
- fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic and zucchini gently for about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Do not let them brown.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted then pour in the broth.
- Bring to the boil, season to taste then stir in and simmer, partially covered, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain the vegetables and reserve the liquid.
- Pass the vegetables through a food processor or blender, gradually adding back the liquid and adding 2 tablespoons of the quark.
- Return the soup to the pan and set aside.
- Either cut the pumpernickel into small rounds using a cookie cutter or leave whole.
- Toast under a hot grill for 1 to 2 minutes until just crisp.
- Remove, cut into quarters if not already cut into rounds, and allow to cool.
- Whisk the herbs and some seasoning into the rest of the quark.
- When ready to serve, spread the quark on the pumpernickel toasts.
- Bring the soup to the boil and check the seasoning, adding a little lemon juice if you think it needs it.
- Divide the soup between warmed bowls and top or serve with the pumpernickel toasts.