1/1 Photo of Zucchini Soup With Pumpernickel and Quark Toasts
(Zucchinisuppe und Pumpernickeltoast mit Kräuterquark) Source: Germanfoods.org "Pumpernickel makes delicious little toasted croutons which can be spread with green-herb-flavored quark (available from specialty stores) to float on top of soup or served alongside. The spinach leaves give this soup a fresh green color."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 large zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 6 ounces Quark (available from specialty stores, substitute whipped cream cheese if necessary)
- 3 slices pumpernickel bread
- fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Melt the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic and zucchini gently for about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- 2Do not let them brown.
- 3Add the spinach and cook until wilted then pour in the broth.
- 4Bring to the boil, season to taste then stir in and simmer, partially covered, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5Strain the vegetables and reserve the liquid.
- 6Pass the vegetables through a food processor or blender, gradually adding back the liquid and adding 2 tablespoons of the quark.
- 7Return the soup to the pan and set aside.
- 8Either cut the pumpernickel into small rounds using a cookie cutter or leave whole.
- 9Toast under a hot grill for 1 to 2 minutes until just crisp.
- 10Remove, cut into quarters if not already cut into rounds, and allow to cool.
- 11Whisk the herbs and some seasoning into the rest of the quark.
- 12When ready to serve, spread the quark on the pumpernickel toasts.
- 13Bring the soup to the boil and check the seasoning, adding a little lemon juice if you think it needs it.
- 14Divide the soup between warmed bowls and top or serve with the pumpernickel toasts.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Soup With Pumpernickel and Quark Toasts
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.0
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.4 mg
- Sodium 1221.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed fresh herbs