Recipe by littleturtle
This soup can easily be halved. Variation: substitute 1/2 tsp curry powder for the basil or parsley.
- 1 quart chicken stock (4 cups) or 1 quart chicken broth (4 cups)
- 3 lbs zucchini, trimmed, washed, quartered and sliced (6-7 zucchini, more zucchini if you want thicker soup)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, snipped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- zucchini, sliced thin (for garnish)
- parmesan cheese, grated (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine broth, zucchini, onion, shallot, and herbs.
- Simmer, covered, until zucchini is tender (20-30 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and transfer, in batches, to a food processor or blender; purée until well-mixed and smooth (transfer the batches to a large bowl as they're finished).
- Stir in the cream and milk, and run through the blender again.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, or cover and chill for 6-8 hours.
- Garnish with a slice of zucchini and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.