Recipe by stacylu
From my aunt - a simple summertime soup makes a great start to a meal. Nutmeg brings out the flavor of the veggies.
Top Review by Cinquemamma
This recipe looks great, however one ingredient was left out on the ingredient list. How much chicken broth do you want used? I'll figure out something, but I hope you will fix this.
- 2 lbs small zucchini
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced (2 cups)
- grated fresh nutmeg, to taste
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped of fresh mint
- 3 cups skim milk
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 4 thin lemon slices
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot (optional)
- 8 -12 small peeled and deveined shrimp (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the zucchini and shred on a medium holed shredder to make 6-7 cups.
- In a colander set over a bowl, layer half of the zucchini. Sprinkle with salt then top with the remaining zucchini and again sprinkle with salt.
- Set aside for 25-30 minutes to drain off the bitter liquid.
- Pick up the drained zucchini by small handfuls and squeeze out the released juice. Return the zucchini to the colander and rinse under cold water to wash out the salt. Again, squeeze out the moisture by handfuls, then set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium low heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and saute, stirring until translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, cover and simmer until the onion is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the onion and liquid to a food processor fitted with the metal blade or to a blender; puree until smooth.
- Return the onion puree to the pan and add the zucchini, a pinch of nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of the mint and carrots if desired.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the milk and season with salt, if needed, pepper and lemon juice. Heat until very hot but do not allow to boil. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Add shrimp if desired the last 4-5 minutes of cooking.
- Ladle into warmed individual bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining mint and garnish with the slice of lemon.