Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make sure you top with a salsa that has at least a bite and the yogurt [you can use sour cream also] I used it with a corn and black bean with mild peppers. This would also be good with a gravy over it. Also would sub for chinese style pancakes in recipe
- 14 ounces tofu shirataki noodles
- 1⁄2 cup egg whites or 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 cup dry pancake mix
- Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup onions or 3⁄4 cup scallions or 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 4 1⁄2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup diced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- nonfat plain yogurt
- Rinse noodles very well and cut into 2 to 3 inch pieces. For the pancake mix you can either use premade commerical mixes or your favorite homemade mix. Note make sure it is not a sweet pancake mix.
- Heat a large pan sprayed well with vegetable cooking spray over med high heat. Place the noodles in the pan and cook for several minutes. I used cast iron for this.
- Now stir in green onions, mushrooms and zucchini and continue to cook until mix is hot and zucchini and mushrooms are partially done. Reduce heat to med if needed to prevent burning .
- Next, combine Eggbeaters, pancake mix and Mrs. Dash and pepper in a bowl. Then add the noodle mix and mix well.
- If done properly all you need to do is spray the skillet you already heated with more cooking spray. Over medium heat,scoop 1/3 cup of the mixture (per pancake) onto the skillet. Note: I have used larger amounts without a problem.
- Cook until underside is golden, then flip and cook the other side. To find out if it is golden, lift gently with a spatula. Continue until all the batter is gone. Respray the skillet between pancakes when needed. Heat and then add the next pancake.
- Using the 1/3 cup it makes 15 4-inch pancakes. Large amounts makes less pancake.
- Be aware the nutritional value on the side is not correct because it is not calculating for tofu noodles. Also I used a no fat pancake mix in mine and it worked fine.
This was so, so good!! It was my first time using shirataki noodles and I'm glad I chose this recipe. I used a little olive oil to cook the veggies and I added garlic. At the very last second I decided to add about 1/4 cup of shredded mexican style cheese and about a tbsp. of taco seasoning Taco Seasoning Mix to the pancake mixture and it was a great addition. I used cooking spray to fry the pancakes with. Thanks for a great recipe, Pilocrates. Since these taste great room temperature, you could make these smaller for a nice appetizer topped with sour cream and salsa.