Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a very nice savoury breakfast muffin. Great for picnics or potlucks or really any time. It is moist, flavourful and very healthy too. Using toasted sesame adds some more flavour to it.
- 150 g zucchini (1 small)
- 140 g whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons gomashio (toasted and salted sesame-sub regular sesame and salt for it if you cant get it)
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 egg
- 125 ml buttermilk or 125 ml milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 200°C Wahs and grate zucchini coarsely. Squeeze out excess moisture.
- Combine flour, baking powder, gomasio and herbs in a big bowl. In a second bowl whisk together (butter-)milk, oil and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and blend (but be sure not to overmix). Fold in zucchini.
- Fill into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle each muffin with some sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
Interesting that I made & served these muffins along with a tomato soup recipe that I had tagged here on Zaar & now see that Mom2Rose served these same muffins with a bowl of tomato soup, too! Anyway, I made these with buttermilk & we really enjoyed the combo of flavors with that, the whole wheat, zucchini & the sesame ~ Very, very nice, & the recipe is a definite keeper! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders tag]
Putluck Tag 2009: Delicious - I love the sesame seeds in this!! I ate mine alongside a bowl of tomato soup - delish!
A very flavorful, moist muffin that went great with a big bowl of soup. I had to use all-purpose flour because I forgot to look to see if I had whole wheat before I went shopping (I didn't). Will try them again with whole-wheat. Made for Best of 2012 game.