Recipe by LisaAD
By Robynn Sequin, Wilton, New York. The only change I made is switched to mozerella from cheddar cheese.
Top Review by Cynthia D.
My cousin sent this recipe to my mom years ago - it's a family favorite and very tasty. We often do a mix of zucchini and summer squash (depending on what is ready in the garden). I use bulk sausage instead of slices and cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella (it's what my original copy calls for). It's faster if you cook the squash first then brown it with the butter and onion and flour.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (coin sliced)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 cups cubed and diced zucchini
- 1⁄2 onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, cook sausage with the flour.
- Layer in 11 x 17 in baking dish.
- Cook the zucchini and onion in skillet in butter until tender.
- Layer half the zucchini over sausage.
- Combine cottage cheese and grated cheese, garlic salt and eggs in mixing bowl.
- Layer over zucchini in baking dish and cover again with remaining half of zucchini.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes until cheese is melted on top.